10.08.2010

Better now

I can't thank you enough for your wonderful comments on Wednesday.  This week has been really rough on me, and even though I know I can always count on you all for emotional support, I'm still amazed by your compassion.  Thank you.

I started feeling better yesterday and today I'm in a pretty decent mood.  On Tuesday night I had a big meltdown.  It was ugly and awful and it carried into Wednesday, which was lots of fun to deal with at work.  But I think it was necessary, like I was overflowing and these feelings just had to come out.  And now my emotions are thankfully back to a more manageable level.

I've been wanting to share something with you - I decided to have a ring made to remember my lost little peanut.  My good friend T makes amazing jewelry so we're working together on a design.  I know many people use angels or butterflies or forget-me-nots, but those symbols didn't really appeal to me for a ring, and I couldn't think of any other symbols for loss or remembrance.  So I googled.  One image that kept coming up in my searches was the poppy, for Armistice Day.  A red poppy traditionally symbolizes the bloodshed of WWI, but poppies in general have been used as a symbol of eternal repose as far back as ancient Greece and Egypt.

So I came up with a simple, vaguely abstract design for a semi-closed poppy as a copper embellishment on a silver band.  I also want to incorporate a pear or teardrop-shaped ruby for two reasons: 1. I lost my baby in July and that's the birthstone for July (also my birthstone), and 2. It's similar in color and shape to a pomegranate seed, for infertility.  I know it's probably hard to imagine how it's going to look, but it's pretty, I promise.  T is excited to get started on it, so hopefully it won't be too long before I have it and can show you.  I can't wait to have a tangible reminder of my peanut.

The bank is closed on Monday for Columbus Day, so I have a three-day weekend ahead of me.  Tonight we're making pizza with my brother and SIL, tomorrow is T's birthday party, as well as a party for our two nieces on Hubs's side of the family.  And at some point I would really like to go to that "Barren" photo exhibit I was talking about the other day too.  So, busy, but not too crazy.  Oh yeah, and I'm getting ready to O, so there's also that.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ring sounds beautiful. As a random comment about poppies....when my grandmother died, my father had the following engraved on her headstone; "When you see a poppy think of me". The poppies and rubies sound just perfect.

I hope you have a great 3 day weekend!

Steph said...

I'm sooo glad you're feeling better! I hate the bottom & the less time spent there, the better.

Your ring sounds really pretty. I can't wait to see a pic of it. :)

Enjoy the 3day w/e! You know only banks & the PO even recognize that one. ;)

~stinkb0mb~ said...

The ring does sound absolutely beautiful - I'm planning on getting a tatt to remember my losses but at this moment in time I am stumped as to what!

Enjoy the extra time off!!

Big hugs as always


xxxx

Angie said...

So glad you're feeling better. And what a lovely way to remember your loss. ((Hugs)) Have a terrific 3-day weekend!

^J^ said...

That ring sounds perfect...can't wait to see it!!!!! Happy weekend and happy O!!!! :)

Alex said...

I love the idea of the ring. I have a charm bracelet with two hearts on it for my two babies I lost. The hearts have their birth stones, and it gives me a lot of comfort to wear this bracelet.