11.25.2009

Cornucopia

Okay, NOW I'm really starting to feel like AF is making her way over to me. I have all kinds of gas today, and cramps too (although, it's sometimes hard for me to differentiate between gas and cramps, but I get gas whenever I'm PMSed anyway). For my own good, hubs usually doesn't allow me to buy HPTs but he said I could if I needed to today. I haven't decided if I'd rather see a BFN today or wait for AF to ruin Thanksgiving tomorrow.

So, getting my mind off of that...

We have a bunch lined up for good ol' Turkey Day, and I was thinking about it yesterday - we're really going to be "celebrating diversity!" I don't usually give much thought to other people's religions, but it occurred to me yesterday that Thanksgiving is going to be quite the mash-up. It's interesting how religions will affect the dynamic (in subtle ways) of our day. Here's the plan:

Dinner isn't until 5, so we're thinking of taking some friends up on their offer to join them for drinks and a bbq in the afternoon. They're Jehova's Witnesses and don't technically celebrate Thanksgiving, but they get together every year to hang out while all the other friends are with their respective families. This will be the first time we'll be able to join them, so it should be a fun way to get the festivities started!

Next we're having dinner at my sister's house. She and her family are Jewish, and every year she and BIL take their tykes up to the mountains to play in the snow for two weeks around Christmas time (where do I sign up for that?? I want to go snowboarding so bad!). So Thanksgiving is the only time during the holidays that all of my siblings get together at once. My sister LOVES hosting TG dinner, and there will probably be between 20 and 25 people there. I hate to admit it, but it's not quite as fun as hubs' family's holiday get-togethers. It's a little quieter, and we aren't as familiar with all of BIL's extended family, his grown daughters and their significant others. BUT, since my in-laws have a TON of gatherings in December, I insist that my family gets priority on TG.

After dinner, we'll head over to hubs' parents' house for dessert with his family. They're Irish Catholic. My family is Catholic too, but hubs' family is the epitome of Irish Catholic - and they just like to have a good time. So holidays with them involve EVERYONE - including aunts, uncles and cousins (like 40+ people), and plenty of booze. It really is fun. (But MIL is a lot more fun after dinner is served and she's had enough wine to de-stress, so showing up after dinner works really well for us!)

So that'll be my day tomorrow. Hopefully AF doesn't decide to crash the party, but I'm thinking it's pretty much inevitable, so I'll just have to make the best of it. Unfortunately I have to work on Friday, so "making the best of it" can't include too much wine.

...But it can include just enough wine!

5 comments:

Erin said...

I hope you have a nice time with your family eating and drinking ;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day. I hope AF doesn't show...just send her my way! I need her to start this IUI cycle!!!

Happy Almost Turkey Day!

elephantscanremember said...

I hope you have a great time! It looks like you will be worn out after all the eating and get togethers.

(I wouldn't have thought your dh is Irish with your last name, unless it's your maiden name?)

My Vegas said...

sounds like a busy and fun day. Have a great time!

Caitlin said...

Holy crap! Sounds like you have a big day ahead of you! Hope you have a great time and just enough wine! *wink*