11.05.2009

Triple threat

Last night I went to hubs's softball game. He plays every season (read: year-round) with his friends in a men's league and I used to go to his games all the time, but lately I've been over it. Usually some of the other wives are there, but you never know which ones will show up, and I'm just not always in the mood for making small talk.

Anyway, I had in fact decided NOT to go to the game when I got a phone call from one of the wives, S. She's one of my favorites and attends about as often as I do. She called to let me know that she was going and I wouldn't be alone if I decided to go too. So I changed my mind. I made myself a thermos of hot chocolate, bundled up in my coat and scarf, grabbed my giant blanket and headed out with the hubs.

The two of us and one other wife (along with her two small children) showed up within 5 minutes of each other. We chatted and got settled and I opened my thermos to take a sip of my hot chocolate - and immediately spilled it down my lower lip - burning it and my chin in the process - and down the front of my long white coat which I JUST got back from the cleaners. (It's not a fancy coat, just nice and cozy and I've missed it!) To make matters worse, this happened the exact moment S announced that she's pregnant.

So I spent the whole game with a painfully burned lip, stains on my favorite coat, and trying not to appear as completely bummed out as I felt. S's pregnancy was an "oops" - not that I for one second begrudge her and her husband of their blessing, they've been through some hard times for the past few years. They definitely deserve every happiness, and I am happy and excited for them. It's just that initial shock, you know? Well, I know you know. I still feel horrible that I couldn't bring myself to act as happy as I should have, but I can't change that now.

It was a rough night after we got back home. The floodgates opened and then hubs and I started sort of arguing, which then actually turned into a very productive conversation and ended in a good BD/FD session. :) So, all's well that ends well. Except for my poor coat of course.

5 comments:

Erin said...

It's never easy to hear, no matter from whom. I always felt my heart drop down to my stomach.

That sucks you burned your lip and spilled on your white coat :(

Anonymous said...

You had me crying and laughing at the same time !

Totally sucks about the coat but that can be fixed. Hopefully your talk helped, well it must have because you got some action ! ;)

Emily said...

What an eventful evening you had! I'm sorry the game turned into such a disaster and that you had a fight with DH, but it sounds like it ended up okay! ;-) Hope today is better and your coat recovers! =)

Caitlin said...

Ouch! That sounds painful...although the worst kind of "mouth burns" are on the roof of your mouth...y'know, when you get that blister? And then it opens and you are left with hanging skin for at least 2 days...yuck.

Where did my mind go!? Anyway, I hope you are feeling a bit better from the announcement. Just think, that could be you in the coming months! :)

elephantscanremember said...

I'm sorry you had to go through all of that.

(Hugs)